UPC - Fiber Power

Alle technisch orientierten Fragen und Diskussionen zum Thema Internet-Zugänge via Fernsehkabel und Glas, Satellit und Stromleitungen.
Forumsregeln
Alle technisch orientierten Fragen und Diskussionen zum Thema Internet-Zugänge via Fernsehkabel und Glas, Satellit und Stromleitungen.

Analog- und Digital-TV gehört in diese Kategorie.

Diskussionen ĂĽber Provider (deren Produkte und Dienstleistungen) werden im Bereich PROVIDER gefĂĽhrt.

UPC - Fiber Power

Beitragvon Aleksandar » Fr 10 Aug, 2012 20:04

Hi,
Firstly, sorry for English language. I would like to install internet connection to my flat. There are already UPC coaxial installation, and I noted the current action for Fiber Power internet by UPC. My question is about this offer is it worth? Does anybody have problems with UPC? There is written that they use Fiber technology? Is that Fiber-To-The-Home (FTTH) or just to the fiber to the building and later they use coaxial wiring? If they use coaxial, would I get analog tv offer without additional fee, or it is blocked somehow? Once upon a time UPC offered contracts with reductions for university students, now is it still possible?
Aleksandar
Neu im Board
Neu im Board

Re: UPC - Fiber Power

Beitragvon Rocky_Balboa » Sa 11 Aug, 2012 09:33

They dont use Fiber, it is a marketing gag. Depending on subscriber density in your area your experience may range from great to omg i want to kill myself.

If you need tv you should get a FIT package but since you dont seem to speak german i dont see how much good that would do you.

http://www.upc.at/produktpakete/fit/

However, these FIT packages either include a 24 month contract or a 12 month contract with significantly higher monthly fee.

If your main priority is an internet connection you should get the Fiber Power package for 12 months ((22,90 Euro + 1,25 Euro) * 12 months). All UPC packages come with a yearly 15 Euro (15/2=1,25) service fee. Dont get the 24 month contract because saving (6*(22,90 - 19,90))= 18 Euros is definitely not worth it. (Most definitely you will either get a better package after 12 months from UPC or a competitor)
http://www.upc.at/internet/fiberpower/

In addition to that you can either get DVB-T or a satellite dish to be able to access free to air channels.

There dont seem to be any rebates for students anymore, your university may know more about that.

If you want to access english content you could get a Netflix (USA) subscription and use tunlr.net free DNS servers (squid reverse proxy) for just 8 USD per month and access 10k+ movies and tv shows. The AppleTV and PS3 both offer great Netflix integration.
Rocky_Balboa
Board-Mitglied
Board-Mitglied

Beitragvon Aleksandar » Sa 11 Aug, 2012 09:52

Thank you very much. So, as I understood they use just DOCSIS 3.0 for internet, not Fiber technologies :roll: Yes, I have noticed the FIT package, but I don't need TV primary. I would like to install a satellite dish, but I think that is too complicated, because my flat is oriented to the north, and the antenna must be on roof + I need special permission to do so.

I saw on their website that they also have analog televisions http://www.upc.at/pdf/03_TELEKABELTV_FO ... 12_Web.pdf , so if they use coaxial to my flat for delivering internet service, do they use some filters to stop analog television or it would be possible to watch it with Fiber Power internet package?
Aleksandar
Neu im Board
Neu im Board

Beitragvon Rocky_Balboa » Sa 11 Aug, 2012 10:05

They use DOCSIS 2.0 for 35/4 and DOCSIS 3.0 (with 4 DS/1 US channels i believe) for 100/10.

But you most definitely will not be able to max out 100/10 most of the time while you most likely will reach most of your allocated bandwith with the 35/4 package.

I believe they block TV/Radio access entirely but i am not sure on that one. (edit) According to this thread you should be able to access some free channels viewtopic.php?f=41&t=53817
However i have no tuner to verify, getting DVB-T equipment might be cheaper (but more prone to failure).

Analog:

Austria 9 (ab juli Sixx Austria) K 6
ORFeins K 7
OKTO K 8
ATV K 9
Puls4 K 10
ORF2 K 11

Digital:

Kanal 5 (177,5 MHz), S/R 6000, 256 QAM

ORFeins
ORF2 Wien
ORF2 NĂ–
3 Sat

Kanal 12 (226,5 MHz), S/R 6000, 256 QAM

ORF III
ORF Sport+
Servus TV
OKTO
Puls4
ATV
Rocky_Balboa
Board-Mitglied
Board-Mitglied

Beitragvon sgs » Sa 11 Aug, 2012 16:51

Bei neu Bestellung bekommt man inzwischen bei 35/4 ein Euro 3 Modem. In Wien sogut wie immer 8DS und 1 US. Selten 6DS. AuĂźerhalb von wien 4-6 DS.
sgs
Junior Board-Mitglied
Junior Board-Mitglied

ZurĂĽck zu KABEL & GLAS, SAT & STROM